North Tipperary Macra na Feirme have teamed up with Healthy Ireland to develop a community-based response to positive health and wellbeing for farmers in their rural communities.
Following on from the very successful initial workshop, ‘Make the Moove- Farmer’s Matter’ the workshops are continuing with an additional four scheduled across North Tipperary over the coming weeks.
This initiative gives those in the farming community the opportunity to share, discuss and showcase their support for one another in a friendly non-judgemental environment.
Farmers may feel isolated; feel anxious or weighed down with issues, both personal and on the farm; not able or motivated to seek help, or simply unsure of how to get started.
It is hoped the proposed programme will challenge farmers to think about how they approach their work, their own wellbeing and their personal lives. Farming can be a lonely occupation with little human interaction during the working day. Therefore, it is important to establish a network of support and provide an opportunity where farmers can help one another.
While it can be challenging –and sometimes scary - to speak up; it does help!
To progress and further develop the initiative, farmers are invited to attend the upcoming workshops. The objective of this two-hour session is to:
- Work with farmers to find out what is important to them? Identify real needs, examine existing supports and identify gaps.
- To explore opportunities for action and develop resilience-based prevention initiatives.
- To generate solutions.
- To support the development of social and structural connections – e.g. Farmers’ Rural
An integral part of the workshop will be farmers telling their stories of how they overcame obstacles and made that ‘moove’ towards good health and wellbeing.
Where Are The Workshops On?
- Thursday 4th April 2019 Abbey Court Hotel, Nenagh 7.30pm -9.30pm
- Wednesday 10th April 2019 Lakeside Hotel, Ballina 7.30pm -9.30pm
- Thursday 18th April 2019 Racket Hall Hotel, Roscrea 7.30pm -9.30pm
- Thursday 25th April 2019 Anner Hotel, Thurles 7.30pm -9.30pm