The Taoiseach says a review will be carried out on the sale of takeaway pints from pubs.
It follows scenes of crowds gathering in both Dublin and Cork over the weekend.
Michael Martin says he's concerned and annoyed by what happened.
Speaking to Red FM he says the government will now examine what can be done to "tighten up".
Taoiseach Martin said he will meet Minister for Justice Helen McEntee later to see what can done to solve the issue.
"We had been doing well and in fairness the vast majority are abiding by the guidelines," he said.
Who am I to think we are all doing as we should on a normal Sat night in Dublin.
If this is Level 5, we are never getting out of it🥱
For anyone not sure where this is, its South William Street, Dublin 2 this evening. pic.twitter.com/pFkkl6oSCN
— Tara Fay (@tarafayevents) November 14, 2020
Dublin Councillor Blames "Groovy Hipsters" For Outdoor Gatherings
Meanwhile a Dublin councillor says "groovy hipsters" are to blame for the gatherings.
Mannix Flynn has hit out at those who gathered on South William Street over the weekend in particular.
"I don't see any family members or people over the age of sixty sticking their hand in the window of a public house for a take-away pint."
Cllr Flynn said the people congregating are "a particular cohort of individuals who don't seem to have much regard for anybody else."
Local pub Grogan's was closed and it's owners say they had to clean their premises on Sunday morning after it was used as a toilet.
Mannix Flynn said the only way to stop large gatherings is "to shut the whole situation down."
"I believe one hundred percent that the idea of takeaway pints is adding insult to injury," he concluded.